Posted on 5:20 AM by EM MAJ_COM
If you are using WordPress open source for your blog or company website. You need to install the latest released v.3.9.2 to patch the recent denial of service issue in PHP's XML processing.
We had some bandwidth issue for days due to XMLRPC traffic coming to our network of websites. I've asked our ISP to block it for the time being and even use a plugin to Disable it.
Here's the summary from WordPress.org website:
- Fixes a possible denial of service issue in PHP’s XML processing, reported by Nir Goldshlager of the Salesforce.com Product Security Team. Fixed by Michael Adams and Andrew Nacin of the WordPress security team and David Rothstein of the Drupal security team.
- Fixes a possible but unlikely code execution when processing widgets (WordPress is not affected by default), discovered by Alex Concha of the WordPress security team.
- Prevents information disclosure via XML entity attacks in the external GetID3 library, reported by Ivan Novikov of ONSec.
- Adds protections against brute attacks against CSRF tokens, reported by David Tomaschik of the Google Security Team.
- Contains some additional security hardening, like preventing cross-site scripting that could be triggered only by administrators.
List of Files Revised:
readme.html wp-admin/about.php wp-includes/ID3/getid3.lib.php wp-includes/class-IXR.php wp-includes/class-wp-customize-widgets.php wp-includes/compat.php wp-includes/pluggable.php wp-includes/version.php wp-login.php
Share your thoughts.